The Mercer Island Schools Band Boosters was formed in 2011 to actively support, promote, and encourage the band programs of the Mercer Island School District.
This 501c3 organization works to ensure that band programs in the district are supported to the fullest extent possible, including:
- Coordinating fundraising to support band programming.
- Supporting scholarships to ensure the broadest possible participation by all students in band related activities.
- Coordinating, supporting and training volunteers to support the band programs at all levels (elementary, middle and high school.
- Coordinating community support for the bands’ participation in parades, events, and other special performance opportunities,
- Advocating for the continued inclusion and funding of music education in our schools, through both local and state funding sources, and
- Ensuring that all interested students are given every opportunity to express their musical voice through participation in band.
Current Board Members: 2016-2017
Betsy Robertson – Chairman
Shelly Shay – Secretary
Michelle Kavesh – Treasurer
Kim Baker – Communications
Charles Westergard – Communications/Web
Ivy Suzuki-Jaecks – IMS Representative
Carrie Scull – at large
Dawn Reyes – at large
Kari Chansky – at large
Sarah Lesko – at large
Susan Empey – at large
Cliff Sharples – at large
Parker Bixby, MIHS Band Director (ex-officio)
Dave Bentley, IMS Band Director (ex-officio)