The fifth grade band program is available to any interested fifth grader in the Mercer Island School District. This program is an exceptional opportunity for students offering specific instruction on their chosen instrument, as well as universal musical concepts and skills. The program stresses the collaborative cooperation and teamwork necessary for group success. This program is also the gateway to the exceptional band programs at IMS and MIHS. Most importantly however, it’s fun! The instructional program is provided free of charge by the district. Rental/purchase of instruments is the responsibility of the family. The program is taught before school, from 8:15-9:00am. All necessary transportation is provided by the MISD transportation dept.
What to Expect
- In the Spring – 4th grade students at all elementary schools are introduced to the 5th grade band program during their regularly scheduled music classes. Students will have the opportunity to try out different instruments and choose one that suits them. Parents will attend an introductory meeting and then will enroll their student in the 5th grade band program.
- Early September – Parent can attend an Instrument Rental Night to attain instruments for their students for the year.
- Mid-September – The 5th Grade Band program will kick off with two evening lessons. Students will attend both of these lessons at the High School.
- End-of-September – Morning lessons begin. 5th grade band students will have two morning classes a week at either IMS or MIHS – one class with a specialist on their instrument, and one full band class. Classes are held from 8:15 to 9:00am. Days of a particular students classes will be provided in September. Students generally ride the middle school busses to band class, and then MISD runs special busses to transport students from music classes to their elementary school.
- Mid-October – All Island Band Night is truly a night to be remembered. It’s the 5th grade band’s debut at a Mercer Island High School Football game. The program starts with the 5th graders’ traditional rendition of “Hot Cross Buns”, includes performances by the 6th, 7th and 8th grade bands, and concludes with a spectacular performance by the Mercer Island High School Band. With over 700 musicians on the field, it’s something parents look forward to year-after-year.
- End-of-January – Parents attend a Band Curriculum Night at IMS to learn about the middle school band program.
- Early June – The year concludes with the Spring Band Blast concert which showcases the 5th, 6th and 7th grade Bands.
The specific schedule for the year, as well as a Frequently Asked Question (FAQ) document is posted on the 5th Grade Band Information page here.